Saturday 7 November 2015

Pedaltrain Classic 2 pedalboard project

I was in need of a bigger pedalboard so I could add on some extra pedals from time to time. Although I am usually quite happy to go down the DIY route, I found that the Pedaltrain Classic 2 was just the right size for what I needed. The Classic 2 is one of the new 2015 models in the Pedaltrain range with an improved design.
The following pedals were going on the board:
  1. TC Electronic Polytune.
  2. EHX Nano Pog.
  3. TC Electronic Mini Spark Boost.
  4. Ibanez TS808 Tubescreamer
  5. TC Electronic Spark Boost.
  6. TC Electronic Mojo Mojo.
  7. TC Electronic Corona Chorus.
  8. TC Electronic Flashback Delay.
  9. TC Electronic Hall of Fame.
  10. BOSS RC-3 Loop Station (with skinny little twins footswich).
I already had a BBE Supa Charger to use for the power supply, but also added a T-Rex Fuel-Tank Chameleon which between them will give me up to 13 isolated outputs with 12v & 18v options should I need them. The BBE has six 100ma outputs and two 200ma outputs, the Chameleon has five 300ma outputs.

If you don't want to spend so much on power supplies, it's well worth looking at the Diago Power Station (9v 3000ma) or even the Mooer Stage Power (9v 2000ma), these both use daisy chains, but for many applications work very well.

The next challenge was to find the correct brackets for the power supplies, this was a little confusing due to the older Pedaltrain brackets no longer being compatible with the newer boards. The Pedaltrain website informed me that the BRKT-2 and UBKT-2 are the brackets to use with the Classic 2, although I could also use the PT-UNI-MK or the PT-VDL-MK.

Although designed for the Voodoo Labs psu, the BRKT-2 is also compatible with the BBE Supa Charger so I had to buy those, and the UBKT-2 was said to be a suitable solution for the T-Rex, so I had to get some of those too.

After fitting the UBKT-2 I found that the brackets were hitting the deck, so I added some large rubber feet on the front (next to the existing feet) to raise the board up a bit and give it more grip. I think it would be better if the original feet were screwed in rather than riveted in, as a lot of people tend to change or modify them anyway. The T-Rex was secured to the brackets with dual lock and cable ties.



A roll of wide Velcro comes as part of the package, so I attached this to the four rails (a bit annoyed that some of it was creased up quite badly). My full size TC electronic pedals hold in place quite well with the Velcro (although I do have an idea in mind which involves using the base plate retaining screw as a fixing method). The mini pedal was cable tied using a bit of wood on the underside. For the TS-808 and BOSS pedals I used bicycle chain links which were then cable tied, I was going to screw them down to the board, but (after already drilling some holes) I realised that I would be 'earthing' them to the metal board and that was going to potentially cause ground loop problems. I did screw down the pedals on my my Nano board, but I am using a double insulated PSU with daisy chain to power that, so can get away with it.

The Pedaltrain is a good strong pedalboard but it could still be improved. A bit more care with the Velcro, some longer cable ties and easy to change feet would also be nice. I suppose it all comes down to keeping things as cost efficient as possible. The soft case that came with it seems reasonably robust, but it would have been nice to have an external pocket like the older versions (more cost cutting?). I have noticed that not everyone is happy using a drill to mount the brackets either, but it's probably better to have the option to put these wherever you choose, as opposed to having them pre-drilled. Overall I am reasonably pleased with the Pedaltrain and the outcome of the project, it should last me a good while too.

No comments:

Post a Comment