Saturday 18 February 2012

Joyo guitar pedals

If you are a pedal freak you will probably have come across Joyo pedals before. There was a lot of controversy surrounding a certain US boutique pedal maker who slightly modified a few of the pedals in the Joyo range, gave them a paint job and then sold them for 5 times their normal price.

The pedals I will be checking out in the not too distant future are the Ultimate Drive and the Vintage Overdrive.

You can pick these up for around £26 each which is incredibly cheap for a good quality metal cased pedal.

The Ultimate Drive is a Fulltone OCD type pedal and the Vintage Overdrive a Tubescreamer clone.

Check out the full range here:
http://www.joyochina.cn/en/home/index.html


I have now compared the Vintage Overdrive side by side with a TS-808 reissue. Out of all the Tubescreamer clones I have tried, this is the closest to the 'original'. It really is very good indeed, and unlike the TS-808 is true bypass (I switched the pedal to the off position, removed the power and the signal from the guitar was still there). Even if this pedal was two or three times the price it would still be well worth buying. I would go so far as to say that I would be quite happy to use this in place of my TS-808.

No comments:

Post a Comment